first_last_tavern_middletown_home_01

Who We Are

Our History

Since 1936, First & Last Tavern has been connecting with local communities through food, service, and ambiance. We aim for high quality food and service in a comfortable tavern setting. Our Italian accented menu features many classics such as pizza, panini, and pasta, along with salads, burgers, wings, and more. All of our restaurants are family run which allows us to engage with our guests and continually tailor the menu to what they want. Our goal is to get to know you, improve ourselves every day, and exceed your expectations.

place_holder

place_holder

Our Town

The Wangunks, a Native American people, had lived at the great bend in the Connecticut River for countless generations when the first English settlers arrived in 1650. The Wangunks called the area “Mattabeseck,” which was incorporated by the Connecticut General Court in 1651 and encompassed the present day towns of Middletown, Middlefield, Cromwell, Portland, East Hampton, and part of Berlin. In 1653, Mattabeseck was renamed Middletown, probably because of its location midway between Hartford and Saybrook.

Early residents of Middletown made their living by farming the fertile land along the banks of the river. Other local men became blacksmiths, stone cutters, millers, carpenters, and shipbuilders. Ships built in Middletown carried grain, vegetables, livestock, and other products of local farms down the river and on to Atlantic coastal towns and the islands of the West Indies. The ships returned with rum, sugar, molasses, coffee salt, and nutmeg. By 1750, Middletown was the most populous and one of the wealthiest towns in Connecticut. The town owed its size and prosperity primarily to the maritime trade.

Parking

Lot parking is available at the Municipal Garage. The upper level of the garage offers paid parking on weekdays. Free parking is available on weekdays after 6 p.m. and on weekends. The lower level offers free parking on weekdays after 6 p.m. and on weekends.

There are two entrances to the garage. The entrance to the upper level is on Court Street, next to the Baldwin Courthouse. There is convenient access to Main Street via the pedestrian mall next to the police station. The entrance to the lower level is on Dingwall Drive, across from the Destinta Movie Theaters. Exit the garage and walk west on Dingwall Drive toward the First & Last Tavern’s front entrance on Main Street.

place_holder

Our History

Since 1936, First & Last Tavern has been connecting with local communities through food, service, and ambiance. We aim for high quality food and service in a comfortable tavern setting. Our Italian accented menu features many classics such as pizza, panini, and pasta, along with salads, burgers, wings, and more. All of our restaurants are family run which allows us to engage with our guests and continually tailor the menu to what they want. Our goal is to get to know you, improve ourselves every day, and exceed your expectations.


place_holder

Our Town

The Wangunks, a Native American people, had lived at the great bend in the Connecticut River for countless generations when the first English settlers arrived in 1650. The Wangunks called the area “Mattabeseck,” which was incorporated by the Connecticut General Court in 1651 and encompassed the present day towns of Middletown, Middlefield, Cromwell, Portland, East Hampton, and part of Berlin. In 1653, Mattabeseck was renamed Middletown, probably because of its location midway between Hartford and Saybrook.

Early residents of Middletown made their living by farming the fertile land along the banks of the river. Other local men became blacksmiths, stone cutters, millers, carpenters, and shipbuilders. Ships built in Middletown carried grain, vegetables, livestock, and other products of local farms down the river and on to Atlantic coastal towns and the islands of the West Indies. The ships returned with rum, sugar, molasses, coffee salt, and nutmeg. By 1750, Middletown was the most populous and one of the wealthiest towns in Connecticut. The town owed its size and prosperity primarily to the maritime trade.


place_holder

Parking

Lot parking is available at the Municipal Garage. The upper level of the garage offers paid parking on weekdays. Free parking is available on weekdays after 6 p.m. and on weekends. The lower level offers free parking on weekdays after 6 p.m. and on weekends.

There are two entrances to the garage. The entrance to the upper level is on Court Street, next to the Baldwin Courthouse. There is convenient access to Main Street via the pedestrian mall next to the police station. The entrance to the lower level is on Dingwall Drive, across from the Destinta Movie Theaters. Exit the garage and walk west on Dingwall Drive toward the First & Last Tavern’s front entrance on Main Street.


place_holder